Software Engineer Backend / Infrastructure
Software Engineering - Düsseldorf, Germany
- Level: Professionals
- Start date: 2015-07-31
Software Engineer Backend / Infrastructure
Due to trivago’s rapid growth our site’s traffic is now reaching around 3 billion requests per month. For this reason we are looking for an experienced Software Engineer with a focus in backend, infrastructure and scalability to join our dynamic Software Engineering department and ensure a reliable, fault-tolerant and scalable production environment. We want all our users to experience trivago at its best, and you are the person who will make this happen. If you work in the backend area of a web stack, are eager for a new challenge and looking for the freedom to experiment with new technologies then we look forward to hearing from you!
- Build a fault-tolerant and scalable environment to support our rapidly growing business.
- Research solutions for new projects, pitch pioneering concepts and build prototypes to drive trivago’s technological infrastructure forward.
- Design and build customized cutting edge tools by experimenting with new technologies.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and ensure maximum productivity by guaranteeing a reliable production environment.
- Monitor applications in production (trivago search, hotel management, community etc.) and solve any issues or complications that arise, especially during peak traffic hours.
- Share your technical know-how with other teams and document your tests, solutions, concepts and approaches for future reference.
The ideal candidate:
- Has 2-3 years experience in developing software in a language like Go, C/C++, Rust, Python or PHP.
- Has worked for 2-3 years as a Software Engineer in a high scale environment using Open Source technologies.
- Is familiar with a UNIX / Linux / BSD environment and knows how to master a shell.
- Has a degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related technical field.
- Is confident working with algorithms and data structures.
- Is skilled at developing, debugging and troubleshooting (large-scale) web infrastructure.
- Has worked with data storages like MySQL, Redis, Memcached or Kafka.
- Can be trusted to keep attention to detail.
- Is a motivated individual who enjoys finding the root cause of malfunctions.
- Speaks English (our company language) fluently.
- Can start as soon as possible.
Projects you may work on:
These are real projects that the team is doing right now / did in the past:
- Research and develop a new way of transferring application logs from multiple datacenters into a Hadoop cluster. This task resulted in the creation of Gollum, a lightweight and modular service that allows us to build data pipelines between an arbitrary set of services.
- Introduce twemproxy to mitigate connection problems between our PHP application and our caching layer. This change drastically reduced the connection handling overhead between our webservers and Redis resulting in much better performance and less downtimes.
- Troubleshoot leader election problems in our Mesos cluster after a hardware outage of a single slave node. This incident caused cronjobs not being executed because of a problem with the Chronos framework.
- Contribute to open source software used throughout our stack to fix bugs or to introduce new features.
Life at trivago:
- The opportunity to develop personally and professionally with regular code workshops and Hackathons, as well as the chance to contribute to our tech blog.
- The ability to push your ideas through to execution without being held back by bureaucracy.
- The freedom to embrace small-scale failures as a path to large-scale success.
- The belief that factual proof, not seniority, determines which path to take.
- Self-determined working hours based on measuring productivity through goals rather than number of hours spent in the office.
- Being supported in all your needs, including relocation assistance and language classes for international arrivals.
- Working at our head office in Düsseldorf, a city boasting the 6th highest quality of life in the world for expats.
- Please note that applicants from outside the EU will need a university degree in order to be considered for this position.
- Please note that your CV and motivation letter must be written in English.
- trivago GmbH is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from individuals with disabilities are welcome.